Sunday, October 09, 2005

A day at the Kröller part II

As for actual paintings, the following are two that I actually took the effort to take a picture for. The first one is a van Gogh, which is strange in my case, as I'm usually not such a fan of Vincent.
The painting is actually hung in a reasonably modern frame (not shown) which actually works well with it. In general, a frame seems to be able to complement a painting, or absolutely ruin it, even if you're not looking at it directly. I'm not too sure about the colour of the walls - that is, the extent to which they can influence the opinion one forms of the paintings hung on the wall. In the case of the Kröller Muller museum, this a vague kind of bleached purple (which gives a lot of noise in digital pictures when shooting at a boosted ISO value of 1600). The Groninger museum had quite brightly coloured walls in the exhibition I visited last time, this actually worked quite well too.

Anyway, the other painting, which is more my style is by Jan Toorop and is entitled Fatalism. It's a very dark picture (hence the large amount of noise that I can't filter without losing detail). Somehow Charley Toorop (same family) is better known, but personally, once again, I tend to go for Jan Toorop's work.

As for the pictures taken outside, here's a little explanation. The whole day had misty weather and sunshine only came late in the day. This weather, in my opinion, works brilliantly for black and white pictures, but it doesn't stop me from throwing in some colour, if I want to see what happens. The other advantage is that light becomes a bit more visable in the haze.

1 comment:

Anna P.H. Geurts said...

Your pictures are beautiful - as are their paintings. I strongly admire both Toorop's (we will definitely visit De Beurs once it's open & I'm back again). But even more I love Edgar Fernhout: Charley's son. His neo-realist work you will find easily yourself, but he also made art like this: http://www.ivobouwman.nl/uk/i/kunstenaars/kunst.asp?id=144. And what about his son, Rik Fernhout?