Saturday, February 26, 2005

And Now, for a Little Art (Part I)

As the posts have started to lack some decent content, I'll start posting about a few other things as well. I'm not saying there will be decent content, I'm just saying that there will be other topics as well. But before moving to the arts bit, I'll quickly fill in the rant about daily life.
I've (nearly) finished the work that I'm giving as a gift tonight. All I need to do is finish the accompanying papers etc. (yes, I'm going for official), and then it's done. The work itself survived, the box is modded and the accompanying gift has also been arranged. That leaves me some time to finish off the application before the not-so-strict deadline of next Monday (why does February only have 28 days? (don't answer that, It was meant rhetorically)). Application? Yes, I'm applying for a Masters' programme at the local University; the Bio-Molecular Sciences programme.
In the meantime the book issue is nearly over; the books are going to be picked up soon and we're working on getting people their money back. The vending machine arrived, so that finally happened. Now I'm just wondering about the lounge project... Intervote (an interactive classroom project, one of those electronic voting systems) is dragging along as well, but that's not the council's fault.

Anyway, to get back to the promised arts bit: Two well-known photographers:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Yann Arthus-Bertrand is the first one up. He's quite well known for his 'Earth from Above' series (I think most people will know the image I'm using as an icon). The images are very nice to just look through. There's a fairly annoying site (refuses to let you in with FireFox and has the most annoying menu (if you find it) ever) here. The best site, however, is the artist's own site, which is available here. Go for the second option on the opening page.

Image hosted at http://ea.pomona.edu/goldsworthygallery.html
Andy Goldsworthy is technically a sculptor, yet he creates beautiful objects often by just putting together what he can find (different sizes or colours of stone, for instance). He has also created a number of objects in which time plays a very important role. His work is also very well known. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a perfect site to link to. Some of his work (though not his best) is available in this gallery.(Click an image and scroll down to view full size.

No comments: