Wednesday, November 09, 2005

At least, that's the first thought I had upon opening my mailbox. Apart from the majority of e-mails concerning the next Friday meal (soon, very soon, I can see the uni spam-filter starting to protest), there's one from the programme coordinator, In which he says that from a reliable source he knows that me and a girl form the programme would be willing to organise at least one borrel (and effectively become the student commission). Somehow, I've become primed to respond with a 'oh-no, here we go again' type of reaction, and this flashback to a number of ASIC meetings. Oh well, I'll just go right ahead and fall for it again.
Also in the mailbox, more UC mail. They still haven't learnt some of the basics: the 'high urgency' field is NOT just for adding a nice little red exclamation mark to your mails - especially if they're about an upcoming event a week away that half of the people aren't interested in. Also, attachements, and with that I mean images, larger than, let's be generous, 200kb, aren't necessary in most mails, as people only view this on-screen at 72dpi at a max resolution of 1024*768 without noticing jpeg artifacts. It is, however, despite gmail, still interesting to see how fast your mailbox can fill up. One word: downsampling - I'll be caught dead before sending my 4.5 Mb 3000*2000 pixel pictures just to have a funky background. Okay, that didn't go wrong in the last backgroundy e-mail. And oh yeah, if you do start editing images: remeber that jpeg is lossy compression - meaning the more often you save the file, the worse it gets. Anyway - I'm ranting a little too much.

For the geeks amongst us: Reading solis mail with Lynx is possible. In some ways it's even better than expected. (Yep, the dual boot with gentoo is working, even wireless networking is up).
In the lab my protein gels are turning into artwork (well, at least one) - and with that I don't mean that they're so perfect. The comment 'It's never done that before' just about covers it. The other one was normal.

Time to link out.
First up: back to cow tipping. Aparently there are a number of hitches, as outlined here.
Actually, that's all I have time for...

No comments: