Monday, April 30, 2007

Biochem...

And once again I find myself trying to compose a (hopefully) sensible methods section in a research proposal. 'Sensible' meaning that throwing liposomes at it just won't do (thankfully I wasn't in that group at UC). The proposal is a little risky though, so the trick will be to write it optimistically. But then again, and I'm willing to wager that this comes as a shock to some, I've been told that I'm a bit optimistic in these things.
The one thing that the UC flashbacks do make me wonder, is how I ended up where I am. When I left, I was up for starting something a bit more chemical. I even had an internship offer at a reasonably hardcore biochem department. Turned it down. Somehow I've now ended up in a situation where my activities seem to be more related to genetics, and shock horror, phytopathology. Which incidentally are covered by two different Master's programmes, two that I'm both not enrolled in. Oops.
Anyway, back to the biochemistry, the fun thing is always finding out what the real name is of the compound you need. And then to work out how much of it you need. And then to find out what it costs... So here's a nice one for those that like to draw molecules from the systematic name: Dexamethasone (which is also used in a number of drugs (the non-hallucinogenic ones) is actually: (11β,16α)-9-Fluoro-11,17,21-trihydroxy-16-methylpregna-1,4-diene-3,20-dione or
9α-Fluoro-16α-methyl-11β,17α,21-trihydroxy-1,4-pregnadiene-3,20-dione or
9α-Fluoro-16α-methylprednisolone. (Estimated, haven't checked more than a few suppliers) Price range: €400-450/g. Now to find out how much I need...

No comments: