Monday, September 05, 2005

...and practice will follow.

Or, at least, that is what they say. So far, in just about every internship related thing I've heard that line (comes into play when discussing a UC background ). As long as the theory is fine (note)(hide) [Given the fact that up until now people are explaining fairly basic things as if they may be a bit difficult, that shouldn't be the problem. At least the last guy that I spoke to asked if I understood the concept and the use of PCR, rather than spending (in the case of a specific 300-level course) half an hour to explain it], then the practical aspects of, in this case biomolecular research, will follow quite easily. Now I only need to actually put that theory itself into practice. At least I now have an internship (despite being late for both meetings (note)(hide) [First time round, I arrived on time, but then had trouble finding the exact location as there were no room numbers posted and I had the wrong room number anyway. Second time, I get to the station early, only to find that the whole station is filled with buses and people, as there had been an accident at the entry to the station. This was solved by hurrying back to my room, and grabbing my bike instead.]) - the thing at the cell biology department did come through. The good thing about it is that it consists of some widely applicable techniques - which allows me to get a feel for labwork, and might even allow me to figure out a few things (note)(hide) [This includes:
  • Figuring out what I think I'm doing
  • Figuring out what I am doing
  • Figuring out what I should be doing
  • Optional: Figuring out what I want to be doing
  • Figuring out what I what to do when the internship is over
  • Figuring out what to do about some old issues that I managed to keep buried for some time
The last one being one of the reasons why I need to do the others.]
in the meantime (9 month should be enough, I hope (note)(hide) [Something tells me that I won't have that much time left anyway, and that besides that I know there's no acceptable end to it all.]).
Moving on to house related issues - house warming party. I don't think I'll be having one, even though if I move the couch and the table, there would be space, I'd still rather not have too many people up here in one go (and besides, I still only have seating for four). Everyone is still welcome though, even though I'll be running around quite a lot (intro starts tomorrow, internship straight afterwards (next Monday) , so let me know. I know everyone has impossible schedules etc., so I can understand if it takes some time before people have time.
Also in this post: It's the 75th post. Hurray to you for still reading this after going through 74 other posts in the past. That being said, time to dump in a few links, just like in the olden days:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the new place... How's 2007 for you?