Sunday, October 07, 2007

The most confusing one yet...

It's inevitable that occasionally you'll run into the 'my belief is the only true belief because...' argumentation. The one I really don't get is (specific religion removed, as it applies to all):
'The [insert name of holy scripture] wasn't written in one day, and has been printed millions of time [so it must be true]'.
I think I'm finally getting a dose of religion: the one true religion is (in this light) the one which has the highest number of copies of scriptures by which it advertises itself and teaches its followers. The results are in: Time to go to your local IKEA shop to worship - it's catalogue is not made in a day and is the single publication that has the highest print numbers to this day.
In other words: I can barely comprehend why anyone would use the above argumentation at all - all it achieves with me is that I'm less inclined to give any other arguments put forward by the same speaker any thought.
IKEA-ism not your thing? Unconfirmed reports (Guinness World Records) mention that the Bible is the most sold book (the IKEA catalogue is free!) and somewhere else is mentioned that the Red book comes in second. Where the Qu'ran and other scriptures fit in, I don't know... As for believing the 'old and wise', I don't know which is referenced first, the Bible, or the Kama Sutra.

No comments: